Monday, December 20, 2010

Because 10 times out of 9, homemade is way awesomer than store bought!

Only 4 days until Christmas Eve. FOUR!!! So why haven't I written a post in 3 weeks? That's right- because I've been getting ready for CHRISTMAS! I LOVE Christmastime! I love the decorations and the way that total strangers seem to generally be a little nicer to each other in the anticipation of spending time with family and friends. It's fantastic. It's also when all chaos breaks loose at my temporary job and we're engraving literally HUNDREDS of gift items eachday.

But when I'm not at work, I'm getting my own gifts for friends and family made. All of my artsy craftsy experience shifts into overdrive and I sew, stitch, bake and bead my way up to the last minute for everyone on my list. Somewhere around college, I actually made enough money to buy gifts and my family was a bit let down. They were all "What, you're too good to make us cool stuff now?!" So I was all "Fine, I'll just keep making stuff for you in the coming years instead of having to brave the mall then, shall I?" And I've done it ever since. Last year it was quilt square throw pillows for the women, each according to favorite colors, and crocheted scarves in the NCAA Football team color of their loyalty for the men. Before that it was framed quilled art pieces and embroidered handkerchiefs. Embroidered lavender filled drawer sachets and ... I can't remember what I did for the guys. Tins of homemade cookies, I believe.

So this year I'm feverishly working away, which hasn't left much time for blogging. But I hope to make up for December's sparseness with quite a few entries in January. I have a list of topics and memory joggers going to keep me well supplied with post fodder.

I can't give away yet everything I've made as gifts yet. I don't want to ruin the surprise, but I CAN show you one thing. The cutest thing I've done so far (ever) is a plush elephant wearing a tutu:


I have several more to sew for other recipients, so that's all for now. I won't likely post again until after all the holiday madness, so everyone have a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

1/2/11 UPDATE:
Here is the other too stinkin' cute elephant that I made for a young cousin. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment