Thursday, February 17, 2011

Domey Yonuts

Last Sunday after lunch, as we were driving back toward home, we stopped at the light on Hwy 5 and Douglas Blvd.  When Jake got a green arrow and was pulling on through, the Dunkin Donuts caught my eye.  "You know what?" I said, "I think it would be fun to bring the kids to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast one morning in the summer, as a family.  We've not done that before."

While the children had heretofore been utterly ignoring the "boring grown up talk" in the front seat, all of a sudden the van was quiet for 3 full seconds and then chaos.  I had said a beautiful word- that "D" word- that word which conjures up images of sweet, sticky, sprinkle covered breakfast delicacies in my children's minds, the tangible likes of which they are rarely (if ever) allowed to consume.

Jennifer's response was typical- "YUMMY DONUTS!"  Those words sounded funny to her, so she tried to say them like a tongue twister, over and over and faster and faster.  In a few minutes, though, the children went back to what they were talking of before I had handed them a sugar glazed promise for a future outing.

All of them, that is, except for Emily.  She's nothing short of a parrot these days, repeating anything and everything the children say.  (Sometimes to my great annoyance and frustration.)  We continued on the drive home and very softly from her car-seat, Emily was chanting Jennifer's phrase "Yummy Donuts".  Only it didn't stay "Yummy Donuts".  Her sweet mouth couldn't quite handle that many sounds and so she slowly and surely turned it into:

"Domey Yonuts, Domey Yonuts, Domey Yonuts..."

I love Emily in the pre-school stage!  I'm looking forward to the summer, when I take her with the whole family to get "Domey Yonuts" for breakfast.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment