Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Farewell, Maurice Sendak

For today's Illustration Tuesday, it is fitting and proper to honor Maurice Sendak, who died today at 83.
Rather than go on and on about his life, I'm going to link to some excellent articles here and here and just show you a few of my personal favorites of his wonderful illustrations.

“But the wild things cried,
'Oh please don’t go – we’ll eat you up – we love you so!'
And Max said, 'No!'
The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth
and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws,
but Max stepped into his private boat and waved goodbye.”
– Maurice Sendak
June 10, 1928 - May 8, 2012

From "Where the Wild Things Are"



From "A Kiss For Little Bear", written by Else Holmelund Minarik.


This was my favorite scene.  Grandmother Bear has given hen a kiss to take
to Little Bear.  Hen passes it to Frog, who passes it to Cat.  Cat seems to
object to the damp process by which he must retrieve the kiss he promised
to pass along to Little Bear! :)
From "The Griffin and the Minor Canon" by Frank R. Stockton


From "Chicken Soup With Rice"



There are more books illustrated by Sendak that I love that I can't find images for just now.  They include:
"And I Mean It, Stanley!" by Crosby Newell Bonsall
Other "Little Bear" books, by Else Holmelund Minarik

3 comments:

  1. I grew up with the Little Bear books. I read them to my kids now.

    Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My mission...which I chose to accept...was to continue to visit as many A to Z Challenge participants as I could even after the challenge is over because I didn't want to miss out on any great bloggers out there! Lovely blog...good luck with the rest of the year and I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Donna! Thanks for popping by!!!

    ReplyDelete